Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fairy Quilt

When I was growing up my Auntie in Ireland would send me these fabulous books for girls all about Flower Fairies. I adored them and waited impatiently for more to arrive by mail (brown paper packages tied up with string, no less!). I've always had a soft spot for these and when I spied a fabric line from Michael Miller Fabrics last year that featured these flower fairies by Cicely Mary Baker I just about screamed with joy.

I knew immediately that I wanted to make a quilt for my angel from these. I mean, could you ask for a more girly-girl quilt than a Flower Fairy quilt?? So, I jumped on Etsy and ordered four large panels (23"x42") that feature a single Flower Fairy each, plus four Storybook Panels, and one Alphabet panel. I got all these from one seller Lucy In The Sky Quilts who has a lovely little selection, good prices, and excellent shipping.

This is a few close-ups of individual letters. Aren't they gorgeous?









When I pulled all these fabric pieces out a few weeks ago, I knew I had to make a decision on what to finally do with them all. In the end, I decided I would make a full-sized quilt for Christmas (fingers and toes crossed!) and a crib quilt for now.

I used the Alphabet panel and some very English-looking yellow roses pattern fabric.

The panel came with the pictures in three rows and I simply cut them out as three rows. Then used 5" strips of the rose fabric between rows and as the borders and 7" strips for the top and bottom borders.

Very simple, but I love it. Now onto the big one!

Slainte!

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Broken Dishes Quilt

As part of the Summer of Stashbusting (which, judging by the weather today, is pretty much done), I pulled out a charm pack of Spriographix that I've had sitting in my cupboard for quite a while. I love the rich colours and that they aren't screamingly girly like most fabrics I tend to choose.

I decided to make an easy Broken Dishes quilt with them. The best part about this quilt is that it is made up almost eniterly of Half Square Triangles. You can find a tutorial on making those here. But, for this one I decided to use a slightly different method.

First, chose 20 charm squares, then cut 20 plain white fabric 5" squares.

Then I layered one white square on top of a charm square, right sides together.

I sewed a 1/4" seam around all four sides.

I actually chain-pieced all mine by sewing all the sides on each square in a row, cut the stitches, then do the next sides on all, and so on.

Trim your corners (this really does help with the bulkiness where your corners join when sewing everything together).

Cut from one corner to the other, then do the same from the uncut corners.


Fold them open and iron your seams to one side.


Voila! four Half Square Triangles in a heartbeat!

Now, take you four HSTs and sew two toghether, as below, and repeat for the other two. Iron those seams!

Then sew your two pieces together to create your Broken Dish block.
Don't forget to iron the seams!
Continue on and make your other 19 blocks the same way.

Once they are all done, lay them out in a 5x4 grid that you like and sew the rows toghether.
Iron all your seams in one direction and then sew the rows toghether.
Iron your seams on the rows.

Now, onto the borders. I decided to use both a dark teal and white border on this one. I cut three 5" strips by width of fabric, for the inside border, and  five 5" strips by width of fabric for the outer border.



Cut one of the green strips in half (should be 5"x22" or so) and attach to the short side of the quilt top and trim any overhang. Iron the seams. Then attached the remaining two strips to the top and bottom, trim the ends to square it up. Iron the seams.

Repeat the same for the white (you will need to piece together two white strips in order to complete the full border in white).
Layer, quilt and bind. I used a white fabric for the backing...but a colour would be fabulous (stashbusting did not allow for a colour binding...dang!).

Slainte!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Craft Hope - Project 14 Stockings

That’s right, I haven’t disappeared, I’ve been burying myself under piles of fabric. Or that’s how it seems lately. I’ve been sewing up a little storm lately and have lots of things to show you. Mostly I’ve been inspired to follow the designs of some wonderfully creative people out there – and wow, there are lots of you! I can’t wait to show it all to you, but one post at a time.


First I wanted to give you a little update on Craft Hope’s Project 14 that I posted about recently. I said I would be making Christmas stocking, and I followed through with my promise. I didn’t realize quite how much Christmas material I had until I pulled it all out. I was able to make 17 stockings! I dropped these in the mail last week, and I can only hope that they make a few people smile, even just for a moment…that will make it worth the effort.

If you’re interested in helping out, there’s still some time – and a quick stocking can be cut and sewn together in much less than an hour! Visit Craft Hope here for details.
BlogHer.com Logo